Thursday, July 23, 2015 / by Michael Wilson
A Buyer's Agent is a Real Estate Agent that works exclusively for the Home Buyer. Sounds simple, but it's incredibly important ... for the home buyer!
The buyer's agent helps buyers navigate the home buyer's maze.
A licensed real estate professional, acting as a Buyer's Agent is the only person with responsibility for the home buyer's best interests throughout the entire home buying process.
Even though the buyer's agent works exclusively for the home Buyer, the home seller pays the real estate buyer's agent commission, in most cases. Shop around for your buyer's agent - some real estate agents charge their clients.*
What does a Buyer's Agent do for you?
1. Find a home that fits with your life. What if you need to commute to DC, the Pentagon, or the Reston Tech Corridor? What if you want to live in a planned community like Ashburn Village, Stone Ridge, or Brambleton?
Internet research can only go so far. For example, I know commute routes and times. On a Google map, all routes look short and easy. I am better than a Google map because I know the inside story that people who drive the routes every day know. I will keep you from saying, "I wish I knew that before I bought this house."
Start here with our free tips about home ownership: "Only 8 Steps to home ownership"
2. I help you take care of your family. If you don't know about schools, parks, churches and other family community services, you can end up regretting where you live. I've not only lived in the Ashburn area for 12 years and graduated my 3 daughters from Loudoun County high schools, but I also worked in the Loudoun County Public Schools. I know intimately the resources available to families in Ashburn; I know the schools in Ashburn, VA. and homes for sale in Ashburn, VA too.
Can you look at a map and know which side of the street goes to one school and which one goes to another? Do you know which parks have play structures and which have soccer fields? From a map, do you know where there is new construction, and where the neighborhoods are more established?
Probably not, because who does? If you're new to the area, all of this is new. But even if you have lived in Loudoun County for years, you will know the details of your neighborhood, but not of all neighborhoods.
As a buyer's agent, I know Ashburn, Loudoun county, and northern Virginia in great detail. I know what matters to you as a home buyer. I can look at a MLS listing and tell you what is not described on the form. And if I don't know the answers, as a Keller Williams agent, I have the resources of all other Keller Williams agents combined--it's like having a team help you buy your home.
3. I help your offer close. With the aftermath of the mortgage collapse, financing has never been more complicated and volatile. Pre-approval does not mean what it used to mean and banks expect you to jump through more hoops than ever before. Deals collapse easily.
I monitor your home deal from start to finish and escort it through the process. I make sure you don't miss any deadlines. I have a huge rolodex (OK, it's actually digital now ... but remember, I've been in the business a long time!) of reliable resources to solve any snags along the way. You are not alone. I make sure you get the house you fell in love with.
4. While you fall in love with a home, I investigate the house. When you view a home, what do you see? Fireplaces? Master baths? Flooring?
It's likely you will miss a lot.
Looking at homes is overwhelming. The details run together. It is exhausting and it is hard to mentally erase the seller and draw in yourself.
As your buyer's agent, I've got your back.
When we view homes together, I see what you miss. Window quality, appliance and mechanical age, carpet wear--they're not romantic but all of these things matter. By knowing brand names, construction details, and neighborhood histories, I advise you about the quality of the building.
I see problems that may hit you later. I look for stains on the concrete that indicate basement leaks. I see the signs of mold--even if the seller has tried to cover it up. I look for clues that show pending repair bills.
And I see potential. A home needing a coat of paint can save you thousands because most people can't see past simple wear and tear. Maybe the basement can easily be remodeled to include the home office you need. Seeing the potential in a home can get you a bargain that others miss.
When you are imagining your family having Thanksgiving dinner in the dining room, I am thinking about all the details that keep your dream home from becoming a nightmare. Go ahead and fall in love with the home. I will remind you of the practical details that make it lovable. That's one role of a good buyer's agent.
5. Have you considered buying a Brand New Home? There is a lot of new construction northern Virginia, and especially in Loudoun County. Buying new construction is a LOT different than a "traditional" purchase, a resale property even one that is only a few years old. I stay current with with New home builders in Loudoun County and New Communities too.
If you are considering buying a brand new home, get started with our free ebook: "5 Tips For Working With New Home Builders"
YES, anyone buying a brand new home should have a Buyer's Agent!
Most people assume the builder's sales agent is on their side - no, they are the 'builder's sales agent' ... you need Your Buyer's Agent on your side. We represent a lot of clients who are buying new construction because 'buying new' can be more challenging than 'buying used', a lot of the time!
Click to Contact me today for a free consultation, or just call 703-722-8831. I've listed a few of the things a buyer's agent can do for home buyers - call and let's talk about how it can work for you.
* At NoVa Real Estate Group, we do NOT charge our clients additional fees when acting as your buyer's agent - we just don't work that way. The home seller pays all of our commissions out of their proceeds.
Check out more of our Home Buyer's Resources:
Your Loudoun County Buyer's Agents:
Michael & Melana Wilson
NoVa Real Estate Group
Keller Williams Realty - Ashburn, VA
Home Buyers - Check out our new Home Search Mobile App - GPS Based - Free Download for iPhone and Android